2017 was a great year for us and hope that 2018 would be also that much exciting. With a new year, new technology development and threats have also arisen. Though the internet has made our lives way easier but it has also increased the greater number of threats. Internet of things and artificial intelligence are the crucial tool for both attackers and defenders. These are most vulnerable and can be very dangerous in the upcoming years but the ways to defend it is also equally being brainstormed. Data has become the most valuable asset nowadays. So, to grab the data various cyber attacks have been followed. Digital transformation has also a found way for various cybercrimes, attacks etc. So, to defend it we need even more security that could be painstaking for the attackers. 2017 was the year where big companies like Uber and Instagram were attacked so its high time now and we would take this issue seriously.
- PREDICTIONS FOR 2018
Researchers have proved that there will be 10 billion IoT devices at the end of this year. A large number of insecure IoT technology which means greater are the chances for cyber attacks. The communication of relevant info across the supply chain could also be on risk for there is no single party involved in this transaction and hence making the info vulnerable to be exposed to the people across the supply chain. And in this present year artificial intelligence, as well as machine learning, are going to face biggest threats like Wannacry ransomware attacked more than two lakhs computers all over the world in this year also more number of the unsecured organization is going to be the victims of such ransomware. Here are some of the predictions:
- Al-powered attack: Spam messaging, where email scams are widespread and automated all intelligence info present there could be a high chance of attack.
- Smart passwords which were hacked in the previous year are a source for analyzing the new process of hacking data and retrieving important data.
- Cryptographic attacks which use advanced pattern recognition capabilities to reduce complications present in the technology. Encrypted data is the source of these attacks.
- Sandboxing technology which has been the greatest threat within few years. It is an anti-virus threat which changes its effectiveness in due time.
- Cyber-hijacking which is one of the cyber-attacks. With a lot of IoT and artificial intelligence technology as the transportation is moving closer to autonomous the danger of cyber-hijacking increases. In this case, the hackers cut the legitimate owner from the network and they become the admin of the industrial and transport automation where they demand ransom and the people involved in the networking provide it and in this way, all the money and data is easily accessed by the hackers.
- Cyberwars to be more prominent this year. These include an attack on infrastructure and financial systems. Banks, industries, firms etc are affected by this threat.
- Cybercurrencies is the attack on cyber when there is the exchange of currencies. These are most liable to the bitcoins. The blockchain system acquired cryptography algorithms which increases performance. When there is a code execution and if the code is not secured then it can be attacked through various sites during execution and operation.
- SECURITIES FOR 2018
A new method by Europeans that is GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), explaining how companies should process, store, and secure the personal data. It will come into action on May 25, 2018. It will govern the data used and will provide better accessibility. It provides security for the vulnerable data breaches. The other security method is one-time free password generator which helps to generate a strong password which would be accessible only to the person using it. It is a Java-based application that generates password depending on a set of user-defined rules. Installation of this tool is not required as it makes it portable; the file that is to be encrypted can be directly into to JAR file. It can also be saved in the USBs and pen drives with minimum storage area. It does not affect the overall computer but a risk may lay out for the CPU and RAM.
There is a greater chance of the Internet frauds, breaches and attacks so we need to take efficient steps to defend all these articles. In a recent report it has been also included that many systems were hacked because of an email scam where an unnecessary email or link has been opened which resulted in failure of the system and all data were lost. This could be eradicated using high security codes in our system which would detect an unnecessary link or mail. So, the GDPR and the one time free password generator are the main and simple techniques that has been introduced which is of high security.